Canada announces support for Turkish and Syrian temporary residents
Immigration Minister Sean Fraser has just announced new measures in response to the Turkey-Syria earthquake that occurred in February. The measures, which will be in effect between March 29 and September 25, 2023, include:
- Priority processing for immigration applications submitted by those impacted by the earthquake.
- Cost-free extensions for Turkish and Syrian nationals already in Canada to extend their temporary stays.
- New Open Work Permits for Turkish and Syrian temporary residents already in Canada. The duration of the OWPs will be up to three years.
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will make it easier for temporary residents in Canada to switch their status to another temporary visa.
- IRCC will waive passports and travel document requirements for those overseas seeking Canadian permanent residence.
- IRCC is waiving fees for temporary passports, limited-validity passports, emergency travel documents, Canadian citizenship certificates, and permanent resident travel documents for Canadian citizens and permanent residents from Turkey and Syria looking to return to Canada.